Monday, January 28, 2008

Quilt Show Winner!

I am so excited! I entered three items in Quilts on the Bayou, the Jefferson Texas quilt show, this past weekend. http://www.jeffersonquiltshow.com/


My sweatshirt cardigan placed Second in its category. The Log Cabin cardigan is the third cardigan I've made using a sweatshirt as the base. I made the Log Cabin blocks then sewed them together. After a good pressing, I sprayed the back with quilt basting spray and positioned them where I wanted them on the sweatshirt. I then sewed them down using some of the fancy stitches on my sewing machine.
While looking for extra fabrics to coordinate with what I had, I rounded the corner in Hobby Lobby and came face to face with some loopy trim that was a perfect match.





Threads From the Heartland which is a Joanns BOM placed Third in the bed hand pieced/hand quilted category.
My husband and I were getting ready to go on vacation a few years back when I realized that I did not have a project to take along while he was driving. I picked up some pre-cut blocks and threw together a sewing kit. While Sam drove, I pieced blocks. This quilt is 100% hand stitched, including the backing and binding.





Last, but definitely not least, my hand quilted wholecloth quilt placed Second AND took home Third Place in Viewers' Choice! I was on cloud nine. I quilted this quilt in 11 months finishing it in November 2003...most of that time I was still working a full time job. This is Sam's favorite. It graces our bed every summer.
This quilt also won First Place and Best of Show in an online quilt show back in 2004.
The center medallion is a circle of pineapples. This is a Benartex preprinted panel. I did not want to take the time and trouble to draft my own just to find out that I did not like investing this much time in one project. I loved it! I will, someday, draft my own pattern and do this again.
Back to the quilting frame!

No comments: