Sunday, February 10, 2008

Going Crazy

For Crazy Quilts that is! I joined the HGTV Quilting & Needlework forum's Crazy Quilt Challenge. We are learning how to make...NO, Fair! You peaked! Crazy quilts!

I did not have a single silky, slinky, velvety, slimy piece of fabric anywhere. As I was lamenting to my mother about it and supposing I'd just use quilter's cotton, she said, "Wait a minute." I followed her and watched as she dug into the recesses of the closet in her guest room. She emerged with her hair a bit wilder than before she ducked under the hanging clothes with two "Piggly Wiggly" paper grocery bags of silky, slinky, slimy fabrics! I was amazed. A friend gave them to her years ago. I don't know what Mama was going to do with them, but as I sorted through, I found where the bodice of a Barbie doll dress had been cut out of one piece. Ah-ha! I remember! I rifled through the same sacks years ago to make Barbie doll dresses for nieces who are now 25 years old and older. One piece is evidently from a dance costumer. It is hot pink solidly covered with sequins. I hit the mother-lode! Literally!


I brought the grocery bags home and dumped the fabrics in my sewing room floor. After sorting, I discovered that about half of the stash were lining fabrics. I folded them and put them back into one of the bags and filed it away in the corner of my room - under my quilt frame. When I pressed the "keepers," I found satins, tissue lame', lace, netting, and even a piece of suede cloth.




I rummaged through my stash closet for my sack of lace. Even though I had a mean ole son I had several nieces. I made soft-sculpture dolls which needed doll clothes when they were little. I don't know where the silver, red, and gold rickrack (left in the photo) came from, but probably something Mama picked up when she was buying and selling antiques. She gave me several sewing related items that she came across in boxes.




Then, went digging around for linens, doilies, hankies, etc. I found some soiled or extremely worn dresser scarves Mama made years ago along with some small crocheted doilies. I even found a long length of crocheted trim that is not in very good shape. The ecru colored trim in the lower right hand corner is tatting that Mama found in a box during her antiquing days. I think I'll divide it and leave part of it as is but try to oxy-clean the other half.


Before it was all said and done, one of the wonderful ladies on the HGTV forum announced that she and another lady would be going on a buying trip for fabrics and laces and we could sign up to share in the booty. After the trip, she cut the fabrics into blocks and the laces into sections or motifs. Once she received each participant's check, she dropped the loot in the mail along with a bonus Victorian print on fabric. It was like Christmas all over again!




















I'll have to play with all of these after I "get good" at CQing!






1 comment:

Lady Beekeeper said...

Great pictures!!

It must be terrific to be able to share your hobby with your mom.

Er - SLIMY fabrics? Eek.