Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Oops!

In my last post...talking about learning a foreign language...one remark didn't seem so funny when I went back and read it today. So, I deleted it. If you read it and it offended you, I am terribly sorry. It was meant in jest.

If for any legal reason I had to leave the USA and live some place else, Canada (English speaking for the obvious reason that I am woefully non-bilingual) would be one of the top to consider. Possibly on the west coast though...for some reason I don't think it is as cold as it is to the east. Is this a terribly incorrect supposition?

I've always wanted to visit Australia, but would I want the really horrid summers? Are the summer really as horrid as I think? And, would I want to live there?
If I have to leave for any illegal reason...






Changing gears...

I made the worst chili tonight that I've made in a long time! I generally make my own from start to finish adding seasonings to taste as I go. I have a basic recipe and it always tastes good. I found Wick Fowler's 2-Alarm Chili. He won the 1970 Annual World's Championship Chili Cook-off. I know that sometime in the past that I tried it but haven't used it any in recent memory. Years back I even sent a package of it to my penpal in England. Louise, if you remember, I am so sorry! To the rest of you, if you see this in your grocery store, my recommendation is to keep walking.

I didn't even like the way it smelled! "Oh, Sam. I don't like the way this smells." Then I dipped a spoon in it and tasted. "Ah-oh."

Sam made a remark that he'd have to be careful what he said if he liked it.
I dished him up a bowl full and me a half bowl. I couldn't put enough crackers in my bowl and seriously considered filling it up with ketchup/catsup just like I did when I was in school and you had to do something to make the food palatable. Sam didn't say a word, but ate it like it was good! Can you imagine that? The only thing that is saving the man from eating canned chili is that I don't like it!

GOOD Chili

1 - 2 pounds ground beef or chopped sirloin
1 chopped onion
2 cloves diced garlic
2 - 3 tablespoons flour
1 - 2 tablespoons chili powder to start
2 - 3 teaspoons cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 can chopped tomatoes and juice
1 - 2 cans water

Brown ground beef, onion, and garlic. Season with salt, pepper, chili powder, and cumin to taste. Stir in flour, tomatoes and water. Simmer for an hour stirring (and tasting) occasionally.

I know I have mentioned my favorite spice supplier, but just in case I haven't:

No comments: