Saturday, August 8, 2009

Comments to Comments

"The" bangs. When I got older and looked back at my photos, I once asked Mama why my bangs were so short. She said she didn't have to cut them as often when she cut them short. Okay...saved her time...made me look like a dork. At least everyone knows it was her fault at that time in my life and not mine.


You didn't see any high school photos of me did ya? I started gaining weight and wasn't happy with how I looked or me. High school was not the best time of my life. Nothing bad or drastic happened. I hate for this to sound like a cliche' but I just didn't know who I was. I wouldn't go back to that age or time in my life for no amount of money! The only thing that kept me in school my senior year is because I intended to go off to college. Instead...I got married. But I have my high school diploma and in 1996 got a 2-year degree from the local community college.


"Cheekbones"...This photo is from 1979. I'm supposed to have some Cherokee in me. Daddy's mama always said that her grandmother (my great great grandmother) was full blood Cherokee. We have no photos of her. Her marriage to my great great grandfather was her second and all we have is her first married name...no maiden name. She was from Pauls Valley Oklahoma. One day I'll get back in the genealogy and look again.

"Chantilly Lace"...Jonathan, my son, and I sang in the car while running errands. This was one of his favorites. One time he was with Mama. She said when they got back to the Daingerfield city limits he started singing... Dain...ger...field... nananana... Dain...ger...field ...to the tune of some song about Hollywood. What can I say? It helped to pass the time, especially when he needed a potty break and there was no place to stop. We would Sing...sing a song...sing out loud...sing out long...Don't worry if it's not good enough for anyone else to hear...Just sing...sing a song...

"Cars"...Daddy was a caraholic. For a while there when he had three little kids at home and was gone on the truck all the time to feed those babies, he traded cars every year. Mama was pretty meek and mild back in those days (somewhere along the way she developed some teeth and put her foot down). She especially remembers bringing a new baby home...to find a new car in the driveway. Maybe that's why they only had three with a ten year gap before the fourth one. ;o)

"Chubba"...yeppers. Mama had 10 + pound babies. Junior was the only one who slimmed up...rather down. I was put on skim milk at 9 months old...bottle baby. I did outgrow the baby fat but...as I mentioned above was a heavy teenager. When Sam and I got married 12 years ago, I told him that I'd been fat all my life until my skinny young adult years. We were watching home videos taken by Daddy with an 8mm no talky camera. Sam looked at me..."I thought you said you were fat all your life." I guess those teenage years really drug me down. That and Daddy called me Crisco. Really a self-image booster.

"Horse in socks"...LOL At least Joey didn't put rocks in her plumbing! When you have horses, you are constantly messing with their hooves so that they don't jerk around when you are handling them. Makes it especially tough on the farrier when it's time for new shoes...with nails to secure them to the hoof. A jerky horse can cause severe damage to a careless farrier. Nearly every time we were out in the pasture to feed or pet or whatever, I carried a hoof pick in my pocket...picked up their feet and cleaned them up. My horse any way. At the time of this photo we were all grown and gone except Joey...I think that all of us had horses at our houses.

Junior was into competition. He had a horse that was great at keyhole. (A large-size keyhole was drawn in the dirt just inside the opening to the arena. At the go sound, you ran your horse in the middle of the circle, did a 360 turn and ran out again...without messing up the outline.) Billy and I weren't interested in competing and didn't have horses at that time. When we married and left home we eventually all got just riding horses. Photo on the right is Joey on Junior's horse, Wrangler. Junior had a crazy horse before this one...I think before. His name was Lobo...but it should've been Loco. I may have mentioned him before. We were told in no uncertain terms to stay off him and away from him. Junior took care of him...period. One day while everyone was gone, I caught Lobo and rode him. I got caught taking the saddle off. Junior caught me. He thought I was putting the saddle ON. When I told him I had just gotten back from riding, he looked so funny.

Joey had a HIGH powered horse. ran barrels, poles, and other events. Joey on Star. I think this was his third horse. Pepper, then Dottie, then Star...I don't remember another in there. Star drank cokes straight from the bottle. He kicked Mama's Oldsmobile 88 in one of the doors. She put the bathroom plunger to it and pulled the dent out. Star loved pole bending...a row of poles set a certain distance apart. You weaved in and out on the way to the end, then turned around and ran like the devil was after you. Star would swish his tail in circles...and knock a pole down. Joey had to tie it up and wrap it with ponytail bands. LOL...For girl's/women's hair.

"ALS"...Horrible disease. Daddy's was an isolated case in our family. Sometimes it can be familial. That would be devastating. I don't understand why families that have something like that running through it for generations continue to have children.

2 comments:

tisme said...

Just wanted to say I have loved seeing all your family pics and your story!
Also please understand that for some families, at least mine, we did not know that Huntingtons Chorea was in our family until after the children were born. They have only discovered the gene in the last ten years. My brother, sister and one nephew have this horrible disease and had we known about it, my nephew would have never been born.
Tammy

South Jersey Quilter said...

ALS doesn't show up til later in life, and remember, genetic testing is new to this generation.

Holly