Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pooped!

Got her home. Oh MY!!! Why couldn't I have had another sister?! One who also doesn't work outside the home???!!! And could help with this woman? YOU think your mother is a piece of work...you should know mine.

I do have one sister-in-law who does a fantastic job...as much as Mama will let her. I just bulldoze in and do it...to a certain extent. Marilyn also has a day job...but she is SO good. I cleaned out Mama's laundry room where she's just stuffed things over the last 9 years...or more. Boxes that the toaster/telephone/bath scales/telephone (yep another)/etc. were trashed along with a bunch of other stuff. I think between the kitchen's outdated stuff and the laundry room I bagged up 4 or 5 bags of trash.

I made the mistake of mentioning trashing a box of lids...instant coffee/Miracle Whip salad dressing/peanut butter. Well....I had to go dig it outta the trash. "Lids are plastic now. Those will be antiques!" Yeah...75 years after she dies!! Being the good daughter that I am...I retrieved them...and threw something else away so that the box would fit back in the cabinet. ;o)


Mama did take a jaunt with walker in hand into the laundry room to check on her new freezer. She liked the baskets I put in to make certain a bag of frozen hard squash/tomatoes/etc. did not fall out and break one of her toes or feet.

We sat at the dining table yesterday...mid-afternoon...for a snack so that she could take a pill. Then she proceeded to sort through her private drug store and set aside her dosage before bedtime. THEN, she tilted the medicine cup into her mouth. NO! Those are for tonight!!! She rolled them out of her mouth and back into the cup.
SO...today...when I ran to town to put gas in her car and buy a few groceries, I also picked up a 4 time-a-day 7 days-a-week pill sorter. She wasn't going to use it. So...I issued the ultimatum. "You either sit right there after lunch and sort your pills on your own (with me sitting beside her), or 'I' am going to do it. IF I have to do it, I'll confiscate the bottles and carry them back and forth with me." It worked. We sorted and sectioned pills.

After her last surgery a couple/three years back, she stayed with us. One night she got kookie or as baby brother the Brat AKA Joey would say, "Goofey as a car-hit dog." Sam is almost positive that she double-dosed herself before bedtime. I'm going to try my best to make certain that doesn't happen again.

Remember...she can't take the 'good' stuff. But combinations can be disasterous.

This afternoon is set aside for 'iron her clothes.' Yikes! I better get back over there before she's up from her nap!

1 comment:

Lady Beekeeper said...

Oh Sherry! You have your hands full - and what a good daughter you are being. When my mother got older, even when she was dying, I had a hard time keeping my patience, some days. Medication is a tricky subject. We went through some similar stuff and I can sure relate to how you must feel.

Penny