Saturday, January 16, 2010

Week's Almost Over

I subbed at high school every day this week except for Monday. Because of slipping on the ice on Sunday, I told the secretary that I couldn't go down to the fifth and sixth wing and explained why. I had three very light days. ;o) Friday was full, but I still didn't do any harm to my leg.

Oh, my! That heating pad still feels so good wrapped around my left calf and foot. What little swelling there was is now gone. Just feels a bit achy at times. Other than that...I could run a mile...if I really, really wanted to. Well...not really run a mile, but I could walk it rather fast. ;o)

Thursday, I subbed next door to the home ec kitchen. I had a brownie and a slice of chicken pot pie. Those kids did a great job. Funny thing...I've been trying to make chicken pot pies all week. I have not cooked one meal at home. The chicken HAD to be worked up. (It was fully cooked and frozen. I put it in the refrigerator to thaw, so at least it hadn't been refrigerator temperature all week.)

So...I had chicken pot pie for lunch AND supper! Now how often does that happen in real life?

This is the last photo because I forgot to take one of the fully cooked pies. Even the bottom crust was flakey and crispy! Lard!! I rolled out the cut-off dough into a rectangle. Buttered it and sprinkled with cinnamon sugar. Rolled like for cinnamon rolls and cut in 1" pieces. Baked those. Sam (me too) eats them as if they were good. Well...they are.

A friend, THANKS NANCY!, gifted me with a cast iron cornstick pan. She has not used it in years because she had to scoop the cooked sticks out with a spoon...they stuck.

My guess is she just didn't put in enough bacon grease, LARD ;o), Crisco, or oil. I'm going to give it a try today. I cleaned it - didn't need much cleaning - smeared it with LARD and put it in the oven after I got the pot pies out.

It's a Wagner. Good USA brand.

1 comment:

Kar said...

Glad to hear that you are feeling better. I fell on ice years back. Luckily I landed on my butt and had lots of cushion. It was still sore.

Love the pot pies! I haven't made homemade ones in a few months. I might have to add that to the shopping list.

Have a great weekend dear!
xxxx