Sunday, February 28, 2010

Peanut Brittle

How about some Sunday afternoon peanut brittle?
Get out a good thick saucepan. I have one that belonged to my grandmother. Mama let me have it. It's about a 3 quart size. This will boil up a bit so don't use a small saucepan. Grease a cookie sheet, marble slab, granite countertop, etc. with butter.

3 cups sugar

1 cup light Karo syrup
1/2 cup water
3 cups raw peanuts
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda

Bring the sugar, syrup and water to a boil stirring almost constantly, and boil until the temperature reaches 230 degrees F on your candy thermometer. Pour in raw peanuts. Stir constantly until temperature reaches 320-330 degrees and the color is a pretty amber. Remove from burner. Stir in butter, salt, and baking soda. Immediately pour onto your buttered surface.

IT IS HOT! And will remain hot for a while. When cool, break into smaller pieces.
Enjoy!

When Jonathan was a little boy, he was banned from the kitchen only when I was making candy. It entailed carrying a hot saucepan from the stove across the kitchen to a large counter top to do the pour. That hot sugar syrup was dangerous stuff.

2 comments:

Shogun said...

I figure it would just be easier if I lived near you and you kept me well fed.

Марина Сохончук said...

It looks very delicious and tempting :))